Monday, February 3, 2014

Run Disney. Uh...Whut?

Did you know that, in January of each year, hundreds of people descend upon Disney World to...run?


I did not know this until my childhood friend Amy started posting her run pics on facebook about two years ago.  Fun, sparkly medals, chicks bonding over their run costumes--which vary from Buzz Lightyear tutus to Cinderella tiaras and tights...I thought, "Wow, I wish I were a runner!"  I marveled at how she could do these 1/2 marathons, how she took one (or both) of her daughters with her, setting not just a fitness example, but a goal-fulfilling example: "Work hard, achieve the reward, do it all over again".  Veni, vidi, vici, right?  I'm on board.  I love that kind of thinking.

Unfortunately, I didn't really come from a family that looked at fitness that way.  The last thing my father wanted to do when he got home from work was...to go exercise.

And unfortunately on top of all unfortunatelies, all of my family is dead and gone, save for my siblings & cousins.  Dad: 63, heart attack.  Mom, 66, cancer.  Grandma, 88, well God bless her, she probably would still be here if it hadn't been for a persistent staph infection.  Grandfather, kidney disease. Aunts and Uncles, heart issues or cancer.

So you can see I have a little motivation to get healthy, now that I'm 43 and can see down that barrel pretty well.

I have always--always--always hated to run.  Running was for tiny people with small boobs.  Not 5'10" behemoths with breasts the size of basketballs.  Graceful, I have never been; "lithe" and "athletic" are not words in my lexicon.

"Stubborn", however, is.

So every few years, I'd try to run.  I'd buy a new pair of fancy running shoes, grab my Walkman (followed by Discman) stretch for a minute, and sprint off like an idiot.  And always, I'd hobble back like an injured giraffe, about 10 minutes into it, feeling like my boobs were going to fall off, heaving and gulping and vowing never to try that crap again in my lifetime.

I would do this at least 5 or 6 more times; then I turned 30 and forgot all about that nonsense.  Not only that, but I had really gained significantly and there was no way I could ever try it again.

But that stubbornness has creeped back, and you see, it just doesn't get any less as you get older.  It is almost life-affirming by this point.  There's got to be some sort of primitive fight-or-flight crap going on here, right?  You'd think so, because I am so stubborn and defiant about stuff now. "OhIsureCANdothat,thankyouverymuch" runs through my head a lot these days.  And so it went, when I realized yet again that I wanted to run.

Matt was not supportive initially.  He downright balked at running with me, which is understandable as he not only has the flattest feet in the world, but he has a paternal uncle whose knees and back are just shot from running daily.  So I had to know going in I was doing it alone.  I had to be okay with that.  Once Matt realized I was not interested in running a marathon, he was more on board.  When he realized it was more of a personal goal, a quest, to do it, he became 100% behind it.

And that's how I decided I was going to train to do the Disney 10K run for January 2015.



Go ahead. I'll wait until you're done choking.

And that's when my sister--unlikeliest of candidates besides myself--decided she was going to do it with me.


No, no, it's okay.  I'll clean that up.


I think my parents would be very proud.  That is, after they picked themselves up off the floor.

So I got online and bought myself 2 new Enell sports bras to hold the girls in, and they work like a charm, especially when I double up with a regular bra underneath. Hey, you do what you gotta do.

I will definitely update along the way with my progress.  For the last two weeks, I've been doing the Runner's World training schedule for beginners, which is found right here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/the-worlds-simplest-learn-to-run-program

It's very simple--you run until you can't breathe, then walk.  When you catch your breath again, you run.  Then walk when you can't breathe.  Repeat, repeat.  Soon enough, you're supposed to be running the entire time.

Of course, my goal with the 10K is to finish; I'm not looking for time.  I know I do not have to run the entire 6.2 miles.  I can run, then walk, then run, then walk.  Further, I am hoping to practice with my first 5K in April.

How have you been inspired to try something you've never done before?


3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about signing up myself and Cameron. I can use the extra motivation. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger. I think that this is an excellent goal for you. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go girl!! I managed a few 5k's which was practically a marathon for this non-runner. I finally settled on CrossFit which is something I NEVER thought I would do. Go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chel, I would love if you did it, what a fun trip that would be, honestly! We'd have such fun. Beth--I love to hear from other non-runners!! It gives me such motivation!!

    ReplyDelete