Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wednesday Weigh-In and Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup Recipe

Wow.  It's Wednesday! I'm pretty tired.  Went to sleep at 10, woke up at 5. Today or tomorrow I should be feeling my big burst of energy I usually get around the 3rd or 4th day on Atkins induction.  I did notice this morning that I was already mapping out my day--a sure sign that the burst is right around the corner.  Usually, in the first few days, I have what is known as "induction flu" where I'm a bit fuzzy/groggy and my body is switching from using carbs for fuel to using my own fat for fuel.  I love when that really kicks in and I can see it on my Ketostix.  Can't wait!

So okay, the weigh-in.  I'm sitting not-so-pretty at 222.  Matt, 242.  I could look at my weight gain (a total of 14 lbs since Thanksgiving) as a really awful thing...or I could look at it as this: hey!  I stopped myself and turned it around before it got completely out of hand.  I *am* in control of my body, after all!  Better to do it now, at just 14 lbs, than 30 or 40.   And yes, I do want to lose more than the 14 lbs--I was not yet to my goal at Thanksgiving--but that's when I sort of threw caution to the wind as many of us do during the holidays...and coupled with my band unfill, I was not going to have good results no matter how you slice it.  Matt, on the other hand, gained 3 lbs during the holidays.  Of course, he didn't really change his eating. Not so much quality with Matt, but quantity.  The boy can put away some serious calories. He can scarf down a double cheeseburger and fries, and help the girls finish theirs up as well.  This week, he's done well, but I think we can still lower his calories further.  He had coffee and half-and-half this morning with 2 fried eggs and 1 piece of ham, 1 slice of bacon. 295 calories if you include the fat used for cooking and half-and-half.

His lunch and snack today:

LUNCH
2 c. Creamy Mushroom Soup (homemade): 190 cals, 3 carbs
1 pickle spear: 5 cals, 0 carbs
3 oz egg salad (made with 1/ 2 mayo and 1/2 light sour cream), 250 cals, 0 carbs
4 small ribs of celery, 25 cals, 0 carbs

Total Calories/Carbs: 470 cals, 3 net carbs

SNACKS
1 oz almonds: 170 cals, 3 carbs
1 piece of light colby-jack cheese: 60 cals, 0 carbs

Total Calories/Carbs: 230 cals, 3 net carbs

He has a faculty invocation tonight, and they're serving dinner.   I have no doubt in my mind he will make the right choices.  He's like me: when we put our minds to something, we just do it.

Speaking of band un-fill, I am actually going to have a RE-fill on the 29th.  I am hoping to have another .5 cc put in to have me just at 4.75 cc total.  I think that will also help things. Right now, I'm hungry all the time.  That's no good!  I hate feeling my stomach growl.  I also know that when you get to that point, your body (stomach) begins to release the hormone ghrellin, and that is really no good for dieters!   It tells your brain, "Hey! Get something in here, STAT!" and your brain responds, "Well, what do you want?" and the ghrellin says, "ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!"

I'M DYING!!  When was the last time you fed me??  AN HOUR AGO?!? 

Of course, your brain is looking to make this easy for you.  It doesn't want you to have to go and slaughter a boar in the woods, so it suggests something like...berries or fruit.  In 21st-century eater terms, that means: cake. cookies. candy.   And as a 21st-century eater, I am looking to change that and go back to more, oh, I dunno, 16th century eating? lol. 

Now, I don't know whether Creamy Mushroom Soup falls under 16th century culinary feats or not, but I sure as heck made it for the 21st century.  And it is darned tasty.  I can't take credit for that, because the recipe is actually only slightly adapted from a restaurant chain in the NW called Redstone Grill.  Apparently, their Wild Mushroom Soup with Brandy Cream is delicious and very (wildly? har har) popular.  Well, I had neither wild mushrooms nor brandy, and yet, the soup I made is so delicious I nearly licked the bowl clean.  If you like portobella portabello portabella portobello 'shrooms, then this just may be your go-to soup.  It's easy, that's the first thing.  And by easy, I mean you don't need to slice up 100 tiny mushrooms.  I did that the first time I made this. Totally not necessary.  I bought baby portobellos, pre-sliced, and it made my life SO much easier. .30 more per package, so I was all over it.  This bowl of deliciousness can be made in less than an hour.  You can halve this recipe as well--if you're feeding two, half is perfect and gives you a little leftover.



Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup

2 lbs sliced baby portobello mushrooms, rinsed (yeah, yeah, I hear you're not supposed to, but do you know what they grow these things in?!)
2 medium yellow onions
1 stick of unsalted butter
2/3 c. white table wine or sauvignon blanc (or you can use part cooking sherry, part wine)
2 T. cornstarch
2 whole bay leaves
1 tsp ground thyme (I do not recommend using dried leaves)
1/4 T black pepper
1/2 T. kosher salt 
1 large container of Chicken Broth (48 oz)
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 pint of heavy cream
1 c. beef broth (optional)

In a dutch oven, melt butter over med-low heat.  Add onions and cook 10-15 minutes, or just until they slightly brown.  

Increase temp to medium, and add mushrooms.  



Cook 10 minutes. Stir well and cook an additional 5 minutes, adding wine to deglaze pan.  Add beef broth at this time (optional--just gives it a heartier oomph) Make a cornstarch slurry (2 T cornstarch to 2 T cold water) and add to pan.  Add bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix and cook for 5 minutes. 

Add chicken broth, slowly and in sections.  Pour a little in, whisk, allow to bring soup to a simmer (not a rolling boil) before adding more.  Continue until all the broth is in.  

Add cream and balsamic vinegar, mix well.  Simmer 10 minutes.

Remove bay leaves.  At this time, you can serve as is, or you can use an immersion blender to puree it a little bit (leaving it mostly chunky).  I like it both ways, it's so good!  You can also add a few thyme leaves for garnish.  Pretty!



Bon Appétit! 



1 comment:

  1. That sounds delish! I hate feeling hungry too. :(

    ReplyDelete