Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hey, it's almost February. Whaaaaat?

Have you heard about the Corn Pasta they sell at Trader Joe's?  Wow.  It's pretty darned good and it doesn't fall apart.  I made mac-and-cheese á la Alton Brown last night using the TJ Corn Penne and it was AH-MAY-ZING! Woowie!  Held together, tasted delicious, and what's more--both of my daughters scarfed it down.  A success all around!

I can't believe it is almost February.  January just blew by.  We are definitely warming up here in San Antonio, but my heavens, all of the weathergeeks on TV would have you believe that winter is over.  Historically, February is Texas' coldest month, IMHO, so this should be interesting to see how it plays out.  Still, both girls had on t-shirts and jeans for school today and no jackets of any kind.  I am hoping we have a normal February, rain-wise, so we have carpets and carpets of blue all over the Hill Country this spring.  Have you seen Texas in the spring?  No?  You have to come see.  Nothing but bluebonnets as far as your eyes can take you.  It's quite an event; families and their photographers out on the sides of highways taking pictures in seas of bluebonnets. They are everywhere.  I didn't even know this practice was somewhat odd until a friend who is NOT from Texas (herein known as the "Friend NFT") said, "Why in the world would you get out on the side of a highway to take a picture of your baby in some flowers? So dangerous!"  I hushed her and had to re-think our friendship there for a minute.  Next thing you know, she's posting pictures of herself with her daughter in bluebonnets on the side of the road.  I shoulda known.  Of course, I had to call her and mock her for her earlier sentiment, because that's the kind of friend I am.

What I'm getting at is this: come on, bluebonnets.  I'm ready for you.  Where will you be the most abundant?  Just another month and a half and we'll find out.

I forgot to mention what I am cooking tonight for dinner.  I have a pretty good amount of rotisserie chicken that the Mattman pulled apart for me.  I realized as I was meal planning that I had not made a big pot of Grandma Byrd's chicken & dumplings all winter long.  So--there you have it.  The easiest C&D on the planet: rotisserie chicken, celery, carrot, onion, and a ton of chicken broth, with floating puffy clouds of Bisquick on the top.  I really don't know why I don't make it more often.  It's so simple and comforting and reminds me of my Grandma. *sigh* I think of her every single day, I'm sure of it.  She was such a fun lady!  She taught me three valuable things: #1 Driving fast is fun, especially when you're old #2 Men are not the end-all, be-all and #3 Food is freaking amazing and you should enjoy it.  The Ole Biddy* was very, very wise.

*Ole Biddy is a term that was lovingly bestowed on my Grandmother...by herself. She encouraged family to use it, often signing birthday cards to her sons-n-law and other relatives "O.B.". For years I thought she believed she was a tampon.





No comments:

Post a Comment