Monday, April 4, 2011

Learning What Restriction Really Means

I'm officially 18 pounds down since my surgery 6 weeks ago.  I'm 274 now!

Tomorrow marks my first week after my first fill, and I've learned a few things I'd like to share.

#1:  Just because you think you are ready to move on to solids...it doesn't mean you are.

#2: Chew, chew, chew.  When you think you've chewed enough, chew some more. 

#3:  Your eyes are STILL bigger than your stomach (almost literally!). 

#4: Throwing up food that either gets stuck or as a result of eating too much really, really, REALLY sucks.

So take it from me:  the faster you realize this is an experiment on yourself, the better off you'll be.  You are the guinea pig, but you are also the scientist.  Your body will tell you when enough is enough, but I can't stress enough that IT TAKES TIME for your STOMACH to tell YOUR BRAIN this information.  You will be oh-so-sorry if you allow your eyes to dictate how much goes in your mouth.  Your eyes DO NOT COMMUNICATE with your brain in any way other than "HOLY COW THAT STEAK LOOKS GREAT!"  Give your tummy time to absorb what's coming and tell your brain.  If you don't...you will be sorry!  Trust me! :-)

Off topic: Matt and I have been doing some geneaology investigations through Ancestry.com.  I cannot tell you how much joy (and some frustration LOL) this has brought us.  We both have been able to get back quite far; Matt has roots as a billionth (ha) grand nephew to William the Conqueror, and I have roots back to a man that fought with him, from Normandy.  I also found out that I am a descendant to two (so far) direct relations that fought in the Revolutionary War.   I am trying to validate information given to me by my Grandmother that we are somehow related, distantly, to President James Buchanan. There have been some surprises and disappointments along the way: I found out on my Dad's side, his grandmother was Irish Catholic, but the Scotch that gave me my surname of Gregory, that brought about such family pride and identity, is nowhere to be found.  I've hit a dead end with Charles Gregory, who was my Dad's grandfather. It's been quite an adventure, needless to say.  Well, a few months ago, Matt and I took the girls to the Boat and RV show here in San Antonio.  We went to look for a pontoon boat, but ended up falling in love with a Sprint trailer made by Keystone, it's a 35 foot with three slides and a "bunkhouse" for the girls.  It was a great price, and we were very tempted, but we have one problem: we have to have a truck or larger SUV than what we have to pull it.  Since we just bought the minivan last year, we will have to wait for another two years before we can do it, however (and you're wondering how this all ties to genealogy, probably) we both agreed that it would be WONDERFUL to take a geneaology trip once we get it.  We'd go to as many places as we can in a 3 week time span.  When I brought it up, Matt said, "I was TOTALLY thinking that!"

How fun would that be?

1 comment:

  1. First, great post! Excellent lessons to learn.

    Second...it would be totally fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete