Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Homemade French Onion Soup, or: I'm Pretty Sure Salt is the Devil.

I get this brilliant idea to make French Onion Soup, thanks to Matt's "subtle" hint that the Campbell's in the pantry is not fit for human consumption ("it's got a bad aftertaste!", I believe, is what he said).

I bought beautiful, sweet, yellow onions, cooked them gently in a stick of butter over low heat, added spices and a bay leaf, cooked a looooong time, then added broth, wine, and....more salt.

Well, you know, it was damned delicious.  Matt was enthralled with it, so I know it had to at least be decent.  However, because he liked it, it also had to be loaded with sodium, because that's just how Matt is.  If it's overdone in any way on sugar, fat, or salt, he's all over it like white on rice.  I know some of you out there with husbands/SOs understand that one all too well.

Needless to say, I was up almost three pounds this morning, all of which is water.  I could tell when I woke up and my fingers were puffy.  I am off to the gym as soon as I drop Paige at Mother's Day Out.  Hopefully 30 minutes on the treadmill will work this fluid out!!

(did I mention we're having leftovers tonight?  *sigh* Oh well!)

3 comments:

  1. keep on drinking the water too...that will help flush it out. It does sound yummy though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love soup. And onions! Oh...and butter! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, can't go wrong with a bit of butter. LOL!

    ReplyDelete